Friday, June 21, 2013

• Hannity Throws The Race Card Again:

The Second Black Conservatives Special

I couldn't be more disappointed by the ongoing race segregation among conservatives, promoted by Sean Hannity in this case on his Friday show tonight featuring "black conservatives" for a second time.

I am not sure how we got to this point, but I have been aware for a few years now that conservatives seem to like this idea of putting its black proponents on display.

This is nothing short of the right wing throwing the race card back at the left. And every time I see it I am disgusted by it.

I want to make clear, I have nothing against most of these folks who are black and conservative. We might have disagreements here and there, but by and large these are good people with conservative values and positions.

But so are brown conservatives. And Asian conservatives. And Native American conservatives. And Indian and African and - yes - White conservatives.

This idea that Hannity and other shows and websites would focus on presenting black conservatives is a direct response to the hysteria over first black president of the United States. And it's misguided at best, racist at worst.

It almost reminds me of black minstrel shows back in the day, the way conservative blacks are paraded on television. I know what I'm saying may be offensive to some, but this is a very important point. Mr. Hannity seems to be saying, "hey look! We have blacks on our side too!"

Doesn't it seem as though we are separating conservatives into groups by race, so that we can try and compete with liberals on the same race-based playing field the left has created? And honestly: Why in the world would we want to do that?

I have run into so many smart, thoughtful conservatives online - on internet radio, blogs and websites, but not all of these conservative activists are black, so of course none of them are considered for the Hannity specials that introduce America to new conservative thinkers.

I think of two smart kids I know online - Caiden Cowger, who at the age of 14 made a mark online with his criticism of homosexual marriage, and Jayson Veley, who has finished his first year of college. Both are extremely talented, well spoken conservatives and both are, unfortunately for them, white. Neither therefore has a chance to be on the Hannity black conservatives special.

I'd be dishonest if I didn't include myself. I've had my top-notch internet radio show online now for 4½ years. I've just celebrated my 1000th show just a week ago. I don't think there is any question that I would not have a better chance of getting on the Hannity show if I were black.

I'm not complaining - I'm pointing out a simple fact. Mr. Hannity might be skipping over some of our best and brightest thinkers because they're not black conservatives.  What a shame.

Racism shows up in many different ways, and if you ask me, Sean Hannity touting the latest "black conservatives special" is as racist as the black awards shows, the black congressional caucus, and the black college fund.

-Jz

2 comments:

  1. When Hannity and the rest of them get to the golden-honey conservatives, let me know. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with most of what you've said here. I believe black conservatives are a unique group, simply because of the extreme vitriol and persecution that they are subjected to from their own race. I don't know that asian, hispanic, native American or indian conservatives receive the same treatment from within their communities. I think this may be why Sean Hannity elevates them to the level that he does. I also hear a lot of talk amongst conservatives that it's time to start using the left's tactics against them. I disagree with that. What makes us different is that we tell the truth and we don't play dirty. Good post!

    ReplyDelete