Monday, April 15, 2013

• Criticism, Love Letters & Advice

JIMMY Z HAMMERED FOR NEWTOWN PARENTS CRITIQUE

I'm told today that my former radio consulting analyst, John Benko, has criticized my statement here. In part, Mr. Benko wrote, "any decent human being would be shocked and stunned by a statement of such mind-boggling hate."

The fact is there is nothing hateful about this at all. The parents who are in Washington DC (not all of the parents), lobbying against my 2nd Amendment rights have burned through all of the empathy they were due.

"To stoop to accusing these poor suffering parents of exploiting their own dead children, to categorize these people, who have experienced such an unspeakable sorrow, as unworthy of sympathy. To say "screw 'em" and suggest that they be "smacked around" is beyond the lowest of anything that could be considered respectable discourse..."

The very idea that they would use their family tragedy to WORK WITH OBAMA and the democrats, and allow their tragedy to be exploited by Obama and the anti-gun rights democrats, is truly shocking. These parents who have been through unspeakable horror (and they have been), are IN FACT allowing anti-gun democrats and Obama to use their children's death against us, the law abiding citizens who ONLY seek to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights. I'm glad Benko saw it; I'm not surprised that he didn't get it.

If it was my child shot in school, I'd tell Obama and Feinstein to their faces that if the NRA had it's way - if the school had an armed guard, my kid might still be alive.



I should also add that Mr. Benko leveled great criticism toward my friend and colleague Debra JM Smith. In fact, his venom for her and her view of Catholicism was much more vitriolic than his criticism of my statement about the parents from Newtown lobbying for Obama is Washington DC.

For the record, Debra and I do not see eye to eye on Catholicism in some ways. But I would be dishonest if I didn't say that my view of Catholicism has been changing, NOT because of anything Debra has said to me, but because of the behavior and rhetoric and language used by Mr. Benko over a long period of time.

I will not dive into the piles of emails I have that Mr. Benko sent to myself and Debra. What I will tell you is that I've been told that it is Mr. Benko's view as a Catholic that I am a hell-bound Protestant heretic. The fact is that there are many Catholics who think that way, and it was an eye-opening moment. And I must also admit, Debra told me so.

4 comments:

  1. The Newtown family members, campaigning for gun control with Obama, don't deserve white glove treatment. If they are exploiting their children's deaths for their extended 15-minutes of fame, then they are fair targets. In American politics, if you don't wish to be critiqued, then stay out of the political arena. Once you enter into the ring, you are fair game.

    Great Analysis Jimmy Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received a comment here from Mr. Benko I must edit for various reasons: "Makes perfect sense that George Lujack would echo Jimmy Z's opinion. Lujack, Smith and Z are all 3 filled with such mind-boggling hate as to defy human comprehension. This is to say nothing of the fact that all 3 of you were absolutely obliterated in debate on the most fundamentally basic building blocks of Christian theology (a point everyone knows, especially you) and that certainly fuels your obvious animosity towards me. Your right to oppose Obama is certainly fair enough (and on that we agree far more than we disagree). Even on the very few issues that we do not agree 100%, I TOTALLY respect your right to hold to your opinion. The gun control issue is a perfect case in point. Anyone who favors the systematic disarming of a public, denying them the right to have any weapons for self-defense, for hunting or even for sportsman recreation is clearly in violation of the second amendment and should be opposed. On the other hand, the NRA is just as fanatical in the other [direction]."

    This is all I got. And while I agree there can be reasonable disagreement on any issue, including guns and the 2nd Amendment, there is nothing whatsoever extremist about the NRA, and on these issues I don't know that any of the three of us harbor any hatred toward anyone. And that will be that on this issue. -Jz

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for the issue of there not being hatred on your part, your own words betray you, so I will simply leave it there. As for the NRA not being extreme, I will simply ask you one question- Name one restriction on weapons that the NRA supports. You cannot even say background checks because they worked to defeat them.

    Of course the NRA is extreme. It is absurd to say they are not. They are probably one of the 5 most radical organizations in America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Hate' is something I haven't engaged in for decades. Hate is useless, and requires an awful lot of effort, and I'm lazy by nature. I couldn't really hate if I wanted to. I haven't got the stamina it takes.

    The NRA deals with what IS, today, not what once was. Today, there are zero proposed laws by the anti-gun democrats that would change anything. We see in Chicago and the surrounding area that gun laws do nothing to stop violence. The NRA has made real, rational and productive proposals and they are laughed at.

    The NRA's proposals, if in effect at the time, may very well have stopped Mr. Lanza from killing all of those people at Sandy Hook. However, if the democrats were able to pass every gun law in their anti-gun dream scenario, it wouldn't have changed a thing on that terrible day. This is irrefutable.

    The NRA is the voice of the people. Americans have the right to bear arms, to defend themselves, their families and their property from violent, scum sucking criminals. Police cannot protect people and criminals know it. Americans also have a right to defend themselves against an evermore radical left government. That's a fantasy too, if the fit ever does hit the shan, but the right is there, provide to us by the forefathers who enacted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

    I suggest you contact the NRA, get together with a member, go to a shooting range and enjoy the camaraderie with real patriots, down to earth Americans who know that guns are not the problem.

    ReplyDelete